Spectrum arelooking for a Senior Spatial Ecologist to join the Spatial Ecology team. The role will lead, and project manage the delivery of high-quality ecological assessments, working alongside a team of passionate professionals, devoted to achieving the best outcomes for our clients and the environment.
Why would you want to work with us?
Spectrum offers you the opportunity to join an experienced, growing team with a positive, friendly, and fun atmosphere, located in the heart of Leederville. You will be exposed to some of the latest technologies employed in ecological surveys and monitoring, and work on exciting, multidisciplinary projects for amazing clients, across a wide range of ecosystems. Our spatial team works closely with our botany and zoology teams and undertakes a range of ecological monitoring projects using cutting edge remote sensing and machine learning techniques. We encourage all our staff to contribute to the ongoing improvement of how we work, giving opportunities for innovation, and idea sharing. Spectrum is a great place to develop your spatial career and we offer:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with your experience and expertise.
- Work-life balance –estimated ~35 field days per year.
- Six weeks leave (4 weeks annual and 2 weeks accrued time in lieu).
- Field days are paid at 12 hours per day.
- Opportunities for flexible working arrangements.
- Paid parental leave for primary and secondary carers.
- Be part of a team that encourages all team members to participate in all aspects of the assessment including field work, reporting, data analysis, and plant identification etc.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Culture is paramount at Spectrum. The Senior Spatial Ecologist will be a role model to our other staff and ensure the team always operates in accordance with our values to promote a safe, fun, and rewarding work environment.
The successful applicant will manage spatial ecology projects through all phases, including scoping, proposal writing, planning, leading field trips, analysis, and reporting. You will bring a high level of consulting and technical expertise which you enjoy sharing with the spatial ecology team, motivating staff towards our common vision of delivering high quality, fit-for-purpose solutions to our clients. This role will perform a wide range of tasks that may include:
- Application of the latest machine learning models to conduct whole of site rehabilitation, weed, and vegetation condition monitoring.
- Raster and vector analysis for ecological applications
- Conducting ecological field surveys
- Capturing and processing of aerial data from UAV platforms
- Use of photogrammetric software to produce orthomosaics and 3d surface models from UAV, manned-aircraft, or satellite platforms.
- Report writing based on spatial and non-spatial environmental data.
- Ecological and species distribution modelling
- Production of training data for Machine Learning applications
- Project management and client liaison
Skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in botany, environmental science, or equivalent, with a strong emphasis on GIS/Remote Sensing
- Greater than 4 years of consulting experience in Western Australia conducting field surveys, applying spatial analyses, and project management.
- Highly competent in the use of GIS software including ArcGIS/QGIS, with a strong understanding of remote sensing principals and their application.
- Strong analytical and writing skills proven through the preparation of high quality, scientifically robust reports and other client deliverables.
- Experience leading medium to large sized projects in a day-to-day consultancy environment, including guiding teams to delivering projects within a budget.
- The ability to develop scientifically sound, competitive tenders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to build strong client relationships.
- Current ‘manual’ driving licence.
How to apply
Please apply directly with a Cover Letter (including salary expectations) and current CV.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.