About the business and the role
Spectrum Ecology & Spatial is a Perth-based environmental consultancy built on innovation, scientific rigour, and quality service. We offer a comprehensive suite of capabilities in the fields of ecology, botany, zoology, and GIS/remote sensing. Due to strong growth and increasing business opportunities, we are looking for an experienced Senior Botanist to join the highly talented and growing team in our Leederville office.
Why would you want to work with us
Spectrum offers you the opportunity to join an experienced, growing team with a positive, friendly, and fun atmosphere, located in the heart of Leederville. You will be exposed to some of the latest technologies employed in ecological surveys and monitoring, and work on exciting, multidisciplinary projects for amazing clients, across a wide range of ecosystems. Our botany team works closely with our spatial ecology team and undertakes a range of ecological monitoring projects using cutting edge spatial analysis techniques. We encourage all our staff to contribute to the ongoing improvement of how we work, giving opportunities for innovation, and idea sharing. Spectrum is a great place to develop your botany career and we offer:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with your experience and expertise.
- Work-life balance – field days capped ~ 70 days per year (unless you want to do more)!
- Six weeks leave (4 weeks annual and 2 weeks accrued time in lieu).
- Field days are paid at 12 hours per day
- Opportunities for flexible working arrangements.
- Paid parental leave for primary and secondary carers.
- Be part of a team that encourages all team members to participate in all aspects of the assessment including field work, reporting, data analysis and plant identification etc.
Job tasks and responsibilities
Culture is paramount at Spectrum. The Senior Botanist will be a role model to our other staff and ensure the team always operates in accordance with our values to promote a safe, fun, and rewarding work environment. The successful applicant will manage botany projects through all phase, including scoping, proposal writing, planning, leading field trips, analysis, and reporting. You will bring a high level of consulting and technical expertise which you enjoy sharing with the botany team, motivating staff towards our common vision of delivering high quality, fit for purpose solutions to our clients.
Skills and experience
- Tertiary qualifications in botany, environmental science, or equivalent.
- Greater than 3-5 years of botanical consulting experience in Western Australia conducting botanical surveys, impact assessments and project management.
- Experience leading medium to large sized projects in a day-to-day consultancy environment, including guiding teams to delivering projects within a budget.
- Strong analytical and writing skills proven through the preparation of high quality, scientifically robust reports, management plans, and other client deliverables.
- Highly competent with GIS software (e.g., QGIS, ArcGIS).
- The ability to develop scientifically sound, competitive tenders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to build strong client relationships.
- Current ‘manual’ driving licence.
How to apply
Please apply by submitting a form below with a resume and cover letter that includes your salary expectations and contact details for 2 referees (one must be from the past 12 months).
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
- Applicants must reside in Australia and have valid working rights.
This position is not open to Recruitment Agencies.